Welcome to Odometer, an Imperfect & Tense resource for all manner of things odonatological and a dedicated diary of dragonfly delight.
When I began writing a blog back in Spring 2009, I was living in Milton Keynes in England. This self-proclaimed city is in an area which abounds with various types of water body (canals, rivers, streams, lakes and ponds), so provides perfect habitat for many species of dragonflies and damselflies.
With at least 19 breeding species on the wing during the flight season (approximately May to October), MK was a great place to go 'odo loco', develop ID skills and learn about their life cycle.
Now that I have moved north to Orkney, my dragonfly 'fixes' will be somewhat limited and harder won, so these pages are both a treasured reminder of more abundant times and a means by which to share the joys of the 7 species which are currently* part of the Orcadian biota.
Feel free to browse these pages, all I ask is that if you spot any errors, please let me know!
Regards,
Graeme
* Climate change will likely force more southerly species northwards from the UK mainland, in which case, I may well be ideally-located and fortuitously-placed to monitor this phenomenon.
No comments:
Post a Comment