Whilst between jobs and temporarily 'homeless' (or the interregnum as we transition from Tense Towers 1 to TT2), I have made some progress on the new blog. The decision to keep Imperfect & Tense has been made and this erstwhile replacement, Odometer, will sit embedded within I&T. There is a link from Imperfect & Tense directly to Odometer, located towards the top right of the page as part of the 'Not enough wildlife...' gadget.
Though the bulk of our possessions, including a digital archive, are still in storage, I have been going through any images that are available on the devices I brought here to the rented cottage on Burray. So, now, a few photographs have appeared on the 'Dragonflies' and 'Damselflies' pages. Sadly, there's nothing on the 'Orkney Odometer' page just yet, but that's a challenge for this Summer!
The 'Habitats' and 'Life cycle' pages will be constructed as time allows and I have images available. As these parts of the site are still under construction, please remember to wear a hard hat and steel toe-capped boots when accessing them.
I have included links to a few sites with an emphatic odonatological content as part of the 'Here Be Dragons!' gadget. Plus, as this is Orkney, the weather widget has a strong leaning towards wind.
My thanks go to Katie at NatureID and Sam at biobabbler for their encouragement and feedback as to the fate of I&T, as well as to Martin from All at Sea for finding Odometer under his own steam and becoming its first follower.
Though this is still a work in progress, I think now is the time to set Odometer free into an unsuspecting world and see how much mileage it can rack up.
Now if you could relate the wind speed to the Orkney Odometer, then with a little time you'll be able to predict whether it is worth going and searching for Odos or simply scouring the coasts for migrant birds blown off course. I suppose my science brain is at work here, but over time it could form the basis for a piece in a journal or at least the BDS newsletter.
ReplyDeleteIt's an interesting thought! Normally, it's temperature and direct sunlight that are the drivers for odo activity. With all the recent gales, there's been a few comments about birds flying backwards!
Delete